INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE is one of several Blue Screen of Death Errors that you face after the Windows 10 upgrade, Windows 10 reset, or Windows 10 update. This error is not something you’d look forward to seeing because it can be really frustrating.
You might’ve come across INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE Error in Windows 10 on your computer. This error should be fixed as soon as possible and it can be done without much trouble but first, let’s get some basic knowledge about it.
INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE indicates that Windows lost its access to the system partition during the startup process. This prevents the windows from booting up properly. You usually encounter this after resetting your computer by keeping or removing all the data, Upgrading the previous Windows OS to Windows 10, or Updating the previous version of Windows 10 to the latest one. A blue screen that reads ” 🙁 Your PC ran into a problem it couldn’t handle, and now it needs to restart INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE” is displayed when you get this error.
Causes of INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE Error in Windows 10
INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE Error is known to occur when BIOS is updated or when CPU is overclocked. It is also believed that this error is known to occur mostly in a computer running as SSD. Let’s look at other causes that might trigger this error:
- Hardware conflicts after Update
- Malware or Virus
- Corrupted, Outdated, or incorrectly configured Drivers
- Damaged Hard Disk
Ways to Fix INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE Error in Windows 10
Since BSOD Errors like INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE are rather serious, it’s best for you to resolve them as soon as you can. There are numerous ways to do that. Below are the best and the easiest fixes to it, follow them carefully. Before you begin with the troubleshoot, Unplug the external storage device if there’s any and make sure your disk firmware is updated. If it’s not, go to the manufacture’s website and update it.
Dealing with BIOS is really delicate as even minor mistakes can cause huge issues. You have to be extra careful here. Your hard drive might be causing INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE Error so it needs to be adjusted.
To do this, restart your PC and keep on pressing F2 to enter the BIOS. Note that ways to get into BIOS can vary between computers. F2 is the most common for the operating system. But if F2 doesn’t work on your computer, use a different and appropriate one.
Inside BIOS, you’ll see different options. Again note that the layout might vary between computers. What you need to do is find the SATA mode and select AHCI mode instead of IDE from the list. Now save the progress by pressing the appropriate key and restart your computer.
Remove Recently Updated Packages
Recently installed packages and updates can also trigger this error. All you have to do to get over this is uninstall them. Get a Windows 10 installation device and follow these steps:
— Insert the installation device and boot your computer
- Now choose to Repair your computer on the lower-left corner of the screen
- Click the Troubleshoot option.
- On the Advanced options, click on Command Prompt.
- Type in the “Dism /Image:c:\ /Get-Packages” command and press Enter to see all the installed packages
- Identify the latest update and note its name
- Type “dism /image:c:\ /remove-package /packagename:PACKAGE-IDENTITY-NAME /scratchdir:c:\temp\packages” and press Enter. (note: Replace PACKAGE-IDENTITY-NAME with the name you noted in the previous step)
- Your screen might look like the following if the work’s done:
- Restart your System
These are the major two fixes. They are likely to solve INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE Error in Windows 10. But if they don’t try the following troubleshoots:
- Enter your computer in Safe Mode. To do this, you’ll have to press F10 or F12 on startup to enter Boot and then go to Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options -> Startup Settings and then press 4 to enter Safe mode. After this, your PC will open up in safe mode. Now run a full system antivirus scan and uninstall malicious files that are causing this error.
- Outdated drivers are also known to cause this error. If you’re using an outdated driver, visit your hardware manufacturer and update them.
- Make sure that there are no loose cables.
We hope that these simple steps have helped you to Fix the INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE Error in Windows 10.